Recently I did a post on Disaster Recovery, well I just went through a simulated test which I believe is good. It provided a plethora of information on gaps that we need to shore up on.
One of the things that came to my mind though during this simulated test is most companies that I’ve worked with in the past have an annual Disaster Recovery. Then my mind wondered some more and thought about not only the frequency but what about a total unplanned Disaster Recovery test.
I’m very curious to what others think about this topic and what they are doing. Things that I would like to see are:
- Frequency – how often do you DR test
- Is your DR environment the same as your prod environment in terms of hardware, sizing, etc. or do you just have enough to get by
- Planned or Unplanned – do you have a totally planned simulation or do you have a select view individuals know and then trigger a DR on a certain date
- What is your favorite method for bringing data over to DR site
- Do you have checklists in place
These are just a few of the topics that ran through my head over the weekend. If you get time drop me a line and let me know your thoughts, and please feel free to expound on any of the topic related to DR.